...with love all things are possible


Believe ...

Believe ...

Saturday 24 September 2011

The Mayor of Cabbage Hammock

The Mayor of Cabbage Hammock

First Customer review!!


... I jolted awake at 3.22 am, with the knowledge that I needed to grab a pad of paper and a pencil.  There in the quiet of the night the Mayor's story rushed onto the yellow legal pad.  I've never before (nor since) written in pencil or on a legal pad.  But for the next four hours and fifteen minutes I wrote, and scribbled and scratched as wide awake as I could be.  The Mayor was born and when I fell asleep again shortly before 8 am hugging the pages which almost crumpled to their death, I felt a calm like something I'd never felt before.  


Two days earlier at the end of winter 2009, I had had a breakdown, caused by stress, the market, my job and God only knows what else.  In the months that ensued as I allowed myself time to heal, something else was born.  Something long overdue, which had been hidden for decades, oppressed and belittled: my desire to write.  Day by slow day I gave it permission to grow, I gave it permission to walk center stage in my mind and finally I gave myself permission to talk about it.


It's quirky to realize that it's taken me 50 years to find my true self.  But here it is!  I have a calmness inside now, happy in the realization that I am finally doing what I was meant to be doing all along.  Writing.  Dyslexia or not.  Multi-cultural idioms clashing or not.  It's there and I'm giving it permission to speak.


(As you know, my pen-name for children is Noony Brown and my very first children's book arrived on Amazon September 1, 2011.  How exciting!  (click on this link to read our very first review!)  Tanya's watercolors have just brought the beautiful place to life.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unless otherwise noted, all articles are written by Cath Rathbone. (Copyright Catherine (Cath) Rathbone and Noony Brown)